3.08.2010

My life with PCOS

First let's cover what PCOS stands for and what it is for you that don't know. PCOS stands for Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is a condition in some ways like diabetes in as far as it involves insulin levels. And as much as you would think that the ovaries cause the issues by the name of the condition they are merely a side effect. PCOS effects almost every aspect of ones life...menstrual cycle, fertility, mood, weight, energy levels, weight loss, appearance, etc. There are many woman out there that don't know that they have it. I think it is sad that they are dealing with the struggles the rest of us are but don't know why it is happening.
I found out that I had PCOS when I was about 16 years old. I was put on BC(birth control) because it was supposed to help. Not really! I stopped taking the BC because it didn't do anything. Along with finding out that I had PCOS I was told having a kid was going to near to impossible. So the way I saw it I was a walking birth control pill. No need for condoms or RX for birth control...my body was doing it on its own(I know STUPID). Well for years I didn't have problems with getting pregnant...then right before my 21st birthday I met a guy and one thing lead to another and the following month I found out I was pregnant! A little shocked and worried the whole time that I wasn't going to carry full term or my son would die. But I carried him for a 41 weeks and spent 9 hours in labor and 30 min of pushing. And there he was my beautiful, never supposed to happen, one in a million shot baby! And oh do I love him! Don't get me wrong he drives me up the walls sometimes but the love is always there.
I did have a completely uneventful pregnancy as well...no diabetes during pregnancy, no nothing...but during my last trimester I packed on the pounds from stupid eating! BOY do I regret that now! I put on a total of 40lbs being pregnant with my little man. So when all was said and done I went from 210lbs to 250lbs. I was dealing with the extra weight and since I was a single mom and working full time I didn't focus to much on loosing it. I wasn't adding any extra pounds past what I had. Well the November of the year I had my little man I met my husband! We were married by the following March and I moved far from my family and friends and everything I had known and loved! I also became unbelievable sedentary! And we ate out a lot...A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So from 250lbs I slowly(quickly) in a couple months packed on another 30-40lbs! I was now a HUGE person! I am only 5ft 3in...almost 300lbs is a lot on my frame! I have dieted since I have been married and lost weight...but it always comes back due to lack of commitment on my end. But before condemning me for putting back on you have to realize that loosing weight with PCOS is hard and sometimes it doesn't show up on the scale but only in inches on a measuring tape. Not always easy to see your weight the same after working so hard! I have done the hour in the gym 6 days a week and watching calories! And 6lbs was all I lost over a period of 6 weeks! So it has been hard!
Dieting is also not easy! I mean every book I read on how to eat when you have PCOS takes away so many foods and so I want to eat and eat everything there is...it doesn't matter if I am hungry or not I want to eat. I eat to make myself feel better...I order extra food so people think it is for someone else as well...I order food and eat it before I get home to feed my family and myself...I eat two dinners because what someone else suggest sounds better. I am seriously unhealthy! But here is the kicker...my son, OH BOY, I am strict with his food. He gets junk food occasionally but he mostly eats healthy. He loves fruits and veggies and is not much of a meat eater! I didn't want him being overweight!
So here I am at 25, married and a mother(wanting more) and weighing 296lbs! Please don't cry don't gasp! It is a weight! I don't care so much about the weight as being healthy! Yes I would love to see the scale say 200lbs or even 154lbs but if I can be healthy at 200lbs then I will be happy there! I want to have the energy to play with my son and to live long enough to be a big part of his life and his kids life. I don't want to be a picture on the wall or a memory that he tells to his kids!
So today my wonderful hubbers(Jim) and I started a 30 day challenge. I need support and he needs to loose weight. So for 30 days(minus our anniversary and son's bday) there is NO sugar, NO soda(sparkling waters are ok), NO fast food, 30 minutes minimum of physical activity and there is one more but I can't not for the life of me remember what it is! So in 30 days I will be thinner...maybe not pounds but inches. Sometimes with PCOS inches are the first to go and it is a long time till the pounds catch up and start shedding! So I will post more when week one is done of the 4 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Pacific, WA, United States
I have been over weight pretty much my entire life and I have been suffering from PCOS since puberty. But this is my journey to overcome my weight and to take control of how the PCOS effects my life!